Friday, June 15, 2007

Attack of the young urban professionals

It has been more than a month without a post from me (whoever that may be) and its been a very busy month. Like the last time, its Friday, but unlike last time, I actually have plans.

The largest noticeable difference between there and here was the sudden explosion of things to do. If I don't have a beer in my hand by 6pm nearly any day of the week, then I'm in the car on my way to put a beer in my hand. In four weeks, I've been to 3 happy hours, numerous get-togethers, and one dog birthday party.-----

The dog party was quite a site to behold. There were about 20 people at the party and 16 dogs. It was great! Felix and Oscar got overwhelmed by the end of the party, especially when two larger than usual labs bounded into the yard and slobbered on everyone and everything.


-----When I'm not drinking while unpacking, or watching the gay pride parade, I'm at work. Its strange, to say the least, going from a small museum environment to the marketing department of a technology corporation. The archival work is almost eerily similar but as they say, its the little things.

One of those things I never got used when I previously worked in a corporate-like environment was passing the same person in the hall not 30 seconds after passing them before. Do I ignore them? Do I say hi again? Most of the time, the decision is made for me and I'm left to puzzle after the next time. Then there is the fact that I'm the only one who seems to look other in the eye...and it seems to make people uncomfortable. I kinda like that part.

I'm also the only one who makes a lunch in the break room. And I've found that lunch, as a meal, is highly overrated. I really don't mind eating at my desk and it means that if I want to leave a little early, I can. Or if I want to go out and take an hour and half for lunch, I can do that also.

I do miss being able to sing, play music, burp, and fart as loudly as I please. I guess I could do that here, but not for long. Though I did forget how rich music sounds when played through headphones.

The house that we rent, though conveniently located, is too small for our needs, so I've been building shelves all over the place. That's what I do in the evenings. We strategies on how to make more space and try to unpack more boxes. At least we have a garage. My drum set ended up at the homebase of HN. I've yet to play it though as we are trying to soundproof their garage.

That's all my lunch break allows for today. Whenever we get all of the unpacking and decorating done, we'll post pictures.

1 comment:

superkompas said...

"One of those things I never got used when I previously worked in a corporate-like environment was passing the same person in the hall not 30 seconds after passing them before. Do I ignore them? Do I say hi again? Most of the time, the decision is made for me and I'm left to puzzle after the next time. "

THIS is my biggest work paranoia! (I have an easy job). I've found that I usually just smile at them and that is an acceptable in-between. Also okay: nodding acknowledgement.